By Alexandra Inman, RD and Stephanie Dang, RD a2 Milk™ Council Members
We know how busy and rushed weekday mornings can be! Trying to get everyone ready and out the door can make finding time for a balanced, delicious breakfast a real challenge. But a healthy breakfast can get your day off to a great start - it gives your body the energy it needs to go about your day, it can help with appetite and cravings throughout the day, and it’s another opportunity to pack in nutrients like protein, calcium, and vitamin D - all of which are found in a2 Milk™! Try these balanced, delicious breakfasts which you can make ahead of time to make your weekday mornings a breeze.
Cherry Chia Pudding
This pudding is not only delicious but can be made ahead - simply grab a few containers (mason jars make a great option!) and portion out your ingredients for breakfasts throughout the week. Store in the fridge and take out in the morning to enjoy! This breakfast is packed with calcium and vitamin D from the a2 Milk, fibre and omega-3s from the chia seeds, and vitamin C from the cherries! You can also easily swap out the cherries and sunflower seeds for whatever fruit and nuts/seeds you prefer.
- 1 cup a2 Milk™
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup cherries, chopped
- Optional: dollop of yogurt of choice
- In a container thoroughly mix the milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup and chia seeds together.
- Cover the container and set in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Add the chia pudding to a bowl and top with sunflower seeds, chopped cherries and yogurt.
Kale Mango Ginger Smoothie
We know what you’re thinking, kale… in a smoothie!? But don’t worry, kale is actually quite mild in a smoothie especially if you pair it with sweet fruits like mango! This smoothie is full of fibre, healthy fat and protein - from the a2 Milk™ and yogurt - and flavour. This smoothie can also be prepared ahead of time, simply portion out the ice, kale, mango, ginger, and seeds into individual containers (mason jars are again a great option for this) to store in the freezer, then in the morning pour ingredients into the blender, add in the a2 Milk™ and yogurt, and blend!
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1 cup packed kale, stem and tough ribs removed
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds and/or hemp hearts
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup a2 Milk™
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust ingredients to your preference, for a sweeter smoothie blend in 1 Tbsp maple syrup.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Oatmeal is a classic healthy breakfast but many people report it takes too long to cook in the morning. So let us introduce you to overnight oatmeal! Make this recipe ahead of time, store in the refrigerator, and you’ve got oatmeal ready to eat in the morning. High in fibre and healthy fats, this recipe will keep you full until lunch! This recipe is meant as a general guide, change up and adjust the ingredients to your preferences and you’ve got endless delicious combinations to try and enjoy.
- ½ cup large flake, rolled oats
- ½ cup frozen or fresh berries
- 1 Tbsp nuts or seeds (e.g. chia, ground flax, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp nut or seed butter (e.g. peanut, almond, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, etc.)
- 1 cup a2 Milk™
- Optional mix-ins, such as: cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, shredded coconut, matcha, maple syrup, honey - get creative!
- Mix all of the ingredients in a container (like a mason jar) and cover with a lid.
- Store in the fridge overnight (or for up to 5 days).
- Serve cold or reheat in the microwave, as desired. Enjoy!